I don’t want to talk about the unfathomable events that occurred in Boston yesterday. The internet and the news is full with too much for me. Until answers are found and the dust has settled, let’s just everyone hold your loved ones a bit tighter and be thankful for first responders.
What I do want to talk about is some ACTUAL fun things to do while you are waiting. It’s not just a ridiculously long (but catchy) name of a website *wink* … we also wanted to provide you with some fun things to do!
I hate to say that I am a small part of the problem of people being ridiculous with their phones. Me and my iPhone are together almost all the time. Thanks to the world of Apps, my phone is a veritable candy store of fun things to do. In addition to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, IMDB, the entire internet, access to my email/music, and the ability to make phone calls, I love to play GAMES on my iPhone. Here are the top seven games that I am playing right now on my phone. (For those of you without iPhones, skip the app list… I’ve got something for YOU below.
- The Simpsons Tapped Out- It is pretty ridiculous how much time I’ve spent on this game. If you have even a passing fondness for The Simpsons, then download this game. Like, now. I’ll wait. This game is a clever, PREEMO, awesome time waster… provided you have internet connection. The game uses the primary voice actors of the show and regularly updates their content. If you end up playing, come visit my Springfield: leighv548. And use you donuts wisely. They are precious, precious paid content.
- Clash of Clans- These games are normally not my thing, but a lot of my guy friends are playing and I’ve kind of gotten sucked in. It’s all about amassing a village, an army, and total domination. It’s about managing and upgrading resources and raiding other villages. It’s pretty adorable. And like Simpsons Tapped Out, use your gems wisely… they are ALSO where the money is made on these “free” games. I’m under leighvandeev in the Apple Games Center.
- You Don’t Know Jack– I LOVE trivia. I especially love fun trivia. It is definitely something that requires you have to have the sound on, but the jokes are clever, the graphics are cool, and the trivia is surprising. Plus, it shows you how your friends also did! A GREAT game. I play daily. You can find me through Facebook!
- Lie Swatter- This is a new game from the same people who did ‘You Don’t Know Jack,’ but it is quickly becoming one of my favorites. You compete against your friends (or whomever) in three rounds of lie detection. Seven adorable flies are presented and you must swat the fly which contains a factoid that is false. It is remarkably tricky because all the lies are wacky enough to be true, and the true statements are wacky enough that they definitely COULD be the lies… if they weren’t true. It is a cute and surprising game. I’m listed under my Facebook profile.
- Draw Something- I go through phases where I play this game often… And then I go for two weeks without checking it… but I love seeing how creative my friends are and I have been surprised about how divisionary this game can be. I have several friends who are STAUNCH “use no words in your drawing” purists and others who are like honey badgers, if you know what I mean. I’m in the purist camp… but I have been trained. I’m also listed under Facebook here.
- Words For Friends- I love crossword puzzles, scrabble, and word games, in general. So, naturally, I play Words For Friends. I’m LeighVanDeev, if you also play.
- Ticket To Ride- This is an app based on the awesome board game. It’s all about building railroads and was adapted smartly from the original source. Over this past Christmas break, my brother could be heard lamenting, “Would you stop playing that train game?!” You can find me there through the Game Center also.
You’ll notice several other awesome games in the above picture… which I love, but don’t play as regularly. But they still get thumbs up from this gal.
But, what if you are saying, “But, LEIGH! I don’t HAVE an iPhone!!”? Or, what happens if, heavens forfend, you don’t HAVE internet access, and YOU actually have to entertain yourself, or others? I know, I know… but it COULD happen. A while ago, I found a pin on Pinterest titled, “10 (Almost) Effortless Waiting Games.” It was captioned with, “Cool games that require nothing more than people and your brains!” I’m a HUGE fan of creative waiting games… cause you never know when you’ll need them- long car trips, sitting at the airport, or even as a conversation starter. The pin took me to an adorable blog called More Than Mommies and a post with some really great waiting games– some of which I had never heard of before (‘Pits and Cherries’ and ‘How’s Yours?’) There are definitely more kid-centric games (which if I were a mom, I would bookmark this page- post haste) but there were some great ones that would work for any occasion. Plus, reading the article reminded me of traveling in the car with my grandparents. We used to play “I’m Going on a Picnic” like it was nobodies bidness. We didn’t do it with the alphabet restriction, but I still have great memories of playing this and singing some CLASSIC family songs.
So, next time you find yourself with nothing to do… don’t blame ME. What are YOU playing right now on your phone? Do YOU have a good waiting game? As always, let us know!