Big News? “What’s the big news?” you ask. Well, we’re going to be making some changes here at FTTDWYW. When we began this blog we outlined some goals for ourselves with the understanding that we would periodically evaluate our progress. With our one-year blogiversary approaching, we decided that now was a perfect time to take stock and set new goals for the future. In the beginning, one of the most pressing of our goals was to create an impressive catalog of content addressing the many facets of our lives– a fully formed experience for anyone who stumbled upon our blog. And Dear Reader, with 291 posts under our belt, we can confidently check that off as done! It is safe to say we are here to stay! One of the goals we have set for this year though is that we want to start blogging smarter, not harder.
You may have noticed that our publishing schedule is such that one week one of us would publish posts on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while the other of us would publish on Tuesday and Thursday and alternate after that. When we started this blog, we never realized how much time would go into it project. Even after a year’s worth of practice, each post takes a minimum of 2 hours to write (with picture editing and proper linkage) not to mention the time it takes to complete the project of the post. Oh, and did we also mention that we’re also teaching ourselves programming, SEO, and learning various ways to make our blog better on top of that? So, when we were re-evaluating our goals for this next year, we asked ourselves what we wanted the blog to be and what we wanted from it. After much discussion, we both agreed that those 3-post weeks were crazy break-neck and that during the 2-post weeks we were too busy trying to catch our breath to get ahead– which was the ultimate goal. We decided that 2 posts a week would give us enough breathing room to not only write fantastic posts but to also focus on growing the blog. Again, blog smarter not harder. So, the biggest change is that we are going to publish fresh posts 4 days a week rather than 5. We’re taking Wednesdays off, y’all. But don’t worry, although we are taking Wednesday off, we are taking advantage of our rich back-catalogue for a new feature for Saturdays! One of our goals for this year is to go-back and polish our old posts, either with updates, better photos, or proper grammar! So, expect to see some old-favorites… but this time, shinier! We are also challenging ourselves to seek out more guests posts by adding an additional internal incentive. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes for awesome guest posts, so if either of us is lucky enough to land a guest post, then that takes the place of one of OUR posts for that week. Yeah?
We’ve also joined the Amazon Associates program which is an exciting opportunity for us. Basically, if any of y’all buy something we’ve recommended on Amazon, we get credit for it! Cool, huh? Back integrating this feature is another reason why we are post-polishing! But, check out our new eStore! Frequently! It will always be on the sidebar to the left under our current playlist if y’all are looking for it (see it? <–). And if y’all ever even think about buying something we’ve recommended, we’d sure appreciate it if you would go through our store… *wink*
We’ve updated the index pages and added new pictures/signatures throughout the site and are confidently forging forward. So, be sure to cruise around the site to see all the new goodies! Thank you, as always, for everything Dear Reader. For without you? What would be the point?!
And for your reward? How about a new Winter playlist and explanation? We spoil you… 🙂
Wicked Winter Playlist
- The Wire/ Haim: (C)- This song was the theme song for our past vacation.
- Do I Wanna Know?/ Arctic Monkeys: (L)- This song to me? Sexy. I mean, it uses the word, “settee” for petes sake.
- Do What U Want/ Lady Gaga, R. Kelly: (C)- I don’t know why I am so attached to this song- but, I am. Watch this video of Lady Gaga singing this song with Christina on the Voice- sexy. sexy. sexy. http://youtu.be/nw0I6LuWQyA I mean, I want to throw my champagne glass down too!
- Thru and Thru/ The Rolling Stones: (L)- An underappreciated Stones song.
- Kidney In a Cooler/ Keller Williams: (C)- Double Decker Double-Wide, oh yeah!
- Mirror In The Bathroom/ The English Beat: (L)- This song is weird… and I love it.
- Synthesizer/ OutKast featuring George Clinton: (C)- Outkast is one of my all-time favorite bands and they are touring this year to thank their fans for 20 years. “…I might look kinda funny but ain’t no fool…”
- Satisfied/ Van Morrison: (C)- oh Van, I love you. This song makes me want to get out and get down on the dance floor.
- Stripes/ Brandy Clark: (L)- ” I hate stripes and orange ain’t my color. And if I squeeze that trigger tonight I’ll be wearin’ one or the other. There’s no crime of passion worth a crime of fashion–the only thing savin’ your life…is that I don’t look good in orange and I hate stripes.”
- Hold On, We’re Going Home/ Drake Majid Jordan: (L)- I listen to too much Top 40, admittedly… but I like this one. It is kind of ethereal.
- We Used to Wait/ Arcade Fire: (C)-Allen Johnson turned me on to this song.
- Big Talk/ Conway: (L)- Fun pop!
- Inaudible Melodies/ Jack Johnson, Adam Topol, Merlo: (C)- “in the end we are bound to rebound off of we… Slow down everyone we’re moving too fast, frames can’t catch you when you’re moving like that.” Yes.
- 2am/ Slightly Stoopid: (L)- Always a big fan of a good horn hook.
- Battle Flag/ Lo Fidelity Allstars, Pigeon Head: (L)- This song makes me want to run… in a good way!
- Fat Bottomed Girls/ Queen: (C)- Lady Gaga reminds me of a cross between Freddy Mercury and David Bowie. So with my new found appreciate for Lady Gaga I have also gone back to the big boys- hats off Freddy.
- Tease Me/ Chaka Demus and Pliers: (L)- I was running errands and heard this song, Shazammed it cause I liked it and here it is.
- Dope/ Lady Gaga: (C)- “I need you more than dope.” That. Is. Powerful. http://youtu.be/lMyfd5w9kF8
- Only The Lonely/ The Motels: (L)- Although no song tops Roy Orbison’s song, this different song with the same name is pretty great, too.
- Something To Make You Happy/ The Derek Trucks Band: (C)- There is a reason Derek Trucks was termed a child prodigy- he can play the daylights out of the guitar! He is a front row example of the genre of music that resonates most clearly with me. He’s about equal parts blues, jam and rock n’ roll. I am kinda drawn to his music like a moth to the front porch light. And I love his wife too.
- Take a Little Pill/ Brandy Clark: (L)- So true.
- The Promise/ When In Rome: (L)- The 80’s… what was THAT about?
- This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)/ The Lumineers: (C)- This song by the Talking Heads is in my top 5 of all time favorite songs. “The less we say about it the better, we’ll make it up as we go along. Feet on the ground, head in the sky- it’s alright, I know nothing’s wrong… higher, I got plenty of time- higher, you got light in your eyes… never for money- always for love, come on up and say goodnight… home is where I want to be, but I guess I must already be there… Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view. Love me til my heart stops.” I could quote this entire song. I love this song. And this cover is fantastic!
- Sirens/ Pearl Jam: (L)- I love the chord progression in this song.
- Stay/ Rihanna, Mikky Ekko: (L)- Again… Top 40 love, but this song is beautiful.
- Soulshine/ Warren Hayes: (C)- I apologize for the live recording- generally not my bag- but this time, I made an exception. I was riding down a back road the other day and this song came on the radio and I was reminded how much we used to jam to this song. This song is a victim of overplay in my friend group- but, damn. This is a good song. There is a reason we overplayed it. “Sometimes you gotta let the spirit take control… gotta let your soul shine to the break of day.”
- O Children/ Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: (L)- Love this song. Sad and beautiful.
- Soul Love/ David Bowie: (C)- I have always had a love/hate relationship with Mr.Bowie- generally more hate than love but, as a rule, all my friends who have shaped my music appreciation love him- so, there came a point where my hate came to touch and go acceptance. This song helped turn the tide. I do recognize his genius. So in regards to Lady Gaga, much like Freddy, I felt inclined to include Mr. Bowie on this playlist.