Whether there is actually green stuff growing in your yard or you are still snowed in and looking for the light at the end of the winter tunnel, we here at FTTDWYW felt it was time for a spring playlist to bloom.
1. I Will Buy You a New Life- Everclear (L): They play this song on KROQ (L.A.’s rock radio station) often. Isn’t that the dream? (C): kudos on this song, Leigh! I love it!
2. The Boy in the Bubble- Paul Simon (C): I love this song. “These are the days of miracles and wonder…”
3. Back on the Train- Phish (C): “When I jumped off I had a bucket full of thoughts, when I first jumped off I held that bucket with both hands… now I’m gone and I’ll never look back again… I turn my face into the howling wind- it took me a long time to get back on the train.” Yep.
4. Atomic- Blondie (L): This song gets me movin’ movin’. It’s a good running song. Plus, I love the line about “tonight, make it magnificent… your hair is beautiful… ”
5. The Cheater- Bob Kuban & the In-Men (L): After featuring this song in a post, it ran through my head for weeks. Plus, this is a Vandiver III family CLASSIC song.
6. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp- Led Zeppelin (C): This song takes me back to sunny Spring days driving down the Natchez Trace.
7. Dark Horse- Katy Perry, Juicy J (L): Haters gonna hate. Me? Imma love some Katy Perry. I watched her movie. I cried two times. I’m also loving her song “Birthday”… deal with it!
8. Blurred Lines- Robin Thick (C): I don’t know why I like this song. One of the contestants on The Voice last season did this song & I liked it with no idea it was a Robin Thicke song.
9. Happy- Pharrell Williams (L): A friend of mine joked on Twitter that this song is our generations “If You’re Happy And You Know It…” Pharrell has had THE year this year. And I love neo-throwback soul anyway I can get it.
10. Slow Ride- Foghat (L): If this song weren’t over eight minutes long, this would be my go-to karaoke jam.
11. You Dropped the Bomb on Me- The Gap Band (C): Leigh and I used to have choreographed dance moves for this song.
12. Rad Doll- Aerosmith (C): let’s keep this party moving! Love me some Aerosmith now!
13. Our Day Will Come- Ruby & the Romantics (L): During the two days that California actually saw serious rain, I had the good fortune to be traveling. I was sitting in my car, stalled in traffic, rain just POURING to the point where the wipers on high were outmatched. This song came on and all I could do was smile. The tone in the song was so far removed from where I was that I had to appreciate the irony.
14. Radioactive- Imagination Dragons (C): I just love this song. Yes. Yes. Yes.
15. I Love L.A.- Randy Newman (L): Y’all have to give me this one. Whenever someone comes to visit, and I pick them up at the airport, I feel it is my obligation to play this song at least once. “Everybody’s very happy… ’cause the sun is shining all the time… It’s just another perfect day…”
16. Blue Moon- Beck (L): I love funky/weird Beck. But I also love Sea Change Beck. This song is a dreamy, breezy song that I’m digging.
17. Call Me the Breeze- J.J. Cale (C): J.J. Cale is where it is at. He was the man. He wrote this song- Lynyrd Skynyrd made a hit. Eric Clapton covered several J.J. Cale songs including “Cocaine” and “After Midnight” and Widespread Panic does several J.J. Cale covers including “Traveling Light” and “Ride Me High”. If you have never listened to J.J. Cale- check him out because he gets after it.
18. Like A Rolling Stone- the Rolling Stones (C): Love it when big bands do covers- Mick kinda cleans the vocals up on this song… but, “how does it feel to be out on your own with no direction home… like a rolling stone?”
19. Supernova- Ray LaMontagne (L): I will always give every new Ray LaMontagne album a chance.
20. Heartbreak Dream- Betty Who (L): I’m surprised I haven’t heard this more in the background on this springs CW line-up. I’m looking at you Reign and MTV’s Awkward.
21. Doses & Mimosas- Cherub (L): I predict this will be a song of the summer… mark my words. Coralie, listen to this song. I think you’ll love it.
22. Talk Dirty- Jason Derulo (C): I totally heard this song for the first time watching Dancing With the Stars. This song was better than the dance.
23. The Monster- Eminem, Rihanna (C): these two make good songs together. Eminem is not afraid to delve into the dark side of anybody or anything- that’s one of the reasons that I have always liked him. Rihanna’s voice balances that well.
24. Brass Monkey- Beastie Boys (C): Yes- roll the windows down, turn this up and roll.
25. Apache- The Sugarhill Gang (L): This song. So bad. But, so good. Whatever you do, don’t look for the video on youtube.
26. Okayalright- moe. (C): “Okay. Alright. Okay. Alright. Okay. Alright.”